In front of a former service station, vintage gas pumps wait for customers who will never return. The town was named for the chloride silver ore that was discovered nearby in 1863. By the start of the 20th century there were over 2000 residents, but when World War II closed the mines, the people moved on. Several vintage buildings remain; the general store dates from 1928.
The town of Chloride is 20 miles northwest of Kingman, Arizona. From the signed turnoff on Highway 93, a 4-mile paved road leads to the town. Most of the buildings are still occupied; please respect the privacy of the residents.
The Purcell Murals are located just outside of Chloride.